例：Stand over there___________ you’ll be able to see it better.
A. or B. and C. but D. while
1.—Albert’s birthday is on next Saturday, and I’m planning a surprise party for him.
—__________. I’ll bring some wine.
A. Sounds like fun B. It depends
C. Just a minute D. You are welcome
2. My room is a mess, but I __________clean it before I go out tonight. I can do it in the morning.
3. —I want to see Mr. White. We have an appointment.
—I’m sorry, but he is not ________ at the moment, for the meeting hasn’t ended.
A. busy B. active C. concerned D. available
4. She asked me _______ I had returned the books to the library, and I admitted that I hadn’t.
A. when B. where C. whether D. what
5. Mr. and Mrs. Brown would like to see their daughter _____, get married, and have kids.
A. settled down B. keep off C. get up D. cut in
6. Nowadays, cycling, along with jogging and swimming, _______ as one of the best all-round forms of exercise.
A. regard B. is regarded C. are regarded D. regards
7. —Michael was late for Mr. Smith’s chemistry class this morning.
—________? As far as I know, he never came late to class.
A. So what B. Why not C. Who cares D. How come
8. I ________down to London when I suddenly found that I was on the wrong road.
A. was driving B. have driven C. would drive D. drove
9. My eldest son, _______ work takes him all over the world, is in New York at the moment.
A. that B. whose C. his D. who
10. I was watching the clock all through the meeting, as I had a train ______.
A. catching B. caught C. to catch D. to be caught
11. It was when I got back to my apartment ______ I first came across my new neighbors.
A. who B. where C. which D. that
12. When you drive through the Redwood Forests in California, you will be _____ trees that are over 1,000 years old.
A. among B. against C. behind D. below
13. We offer an excellent education to our students. ________, we expect students to work hard.
A. On average B. At best C. in return D. After all
14. The hospital has recently obtained new medical equipment, _____ more patients to be treated.
A. being allowed B. allowing C. having allowed D. allowed
15. —Do you have Betty’s phone number?
—Yes. Otherwise, I ______able to reach her yesterday.
A. hadn’t been B. wouldn’t have been C. weren’t D. wouldn’t be
At my heaviest I weighed 370 pounds. I had a very poor relationship with food: I used it to 16 bad feelings, to make myself feel better, and to celebrate. Worried about my health, I tried many different kinds of 17 but nothing worked. I came to believe that I could do nothing about my 18 .
When I was 50, my weight problem began to affect me 19 . I didn’t want to live the rest of my life with this 20 weight any more.
That year, I 21 a seminar where we were asked to create a project that would touch the world. A seminar leader shared her 22 story —she had not only 125 pounds, but also raised $25,000 for homeless children.
23 by her story, I created the As We Heal(痊愈), the World Heals 24 . My goal was to lose 150 pounds in one year and raise $50,000 25 a movement founded 30 years ago to end hunger. This combination of healing myself and healing the world 26 me as the perfect solution. zxx.k
27 I began my own personal weight program, I was filled with the fear that I would
28 the same difficulties that beat me before. While the 29 hung over my head, there were also signs that I was headed down the right 30 . I sent letters to everyone I knew, telling them about my project. It worked perfectly. Donations began 31 in from hundreds of people.
Of course, I also took some practical steps to lose weight. I consulted with a physician(内科医生), I hired a fitness coach, and I began to eat small and 32 meals. My fund-raising focus also gave me new motivation to exercise 33 .
A year later, I 34 my goal: I lost 150 pounds and raised $50,000! I feel that I’ve been given a second life to devote to something that is 35 and enormous.
16.A.addB. mixC. killD. share
17.A. dietsB. drinksC. fruitsD. dishes
18.A. heightB. abilityC. wisdomD. weight
19.A. temporarily B. recently C. seriouslyD. secretly
20.A.idealB. extraC. normal D. low
21.A. attended B. organized C. recommendedD. mentioned
22.A. folk B. successC. adventure D. science
23.A. Surprised B. Amused C. Influenced D. Disturbed
24.A. project B. business C. system D. custom
25.A. in search of B.in need of C. in place of D. in support of
26.A.scaredB. considered C. confused D. struck
27.A. As B.Until C.If D. Unless
28.A. get over B. run into C. look for D. put aside
29.A.excitmentB. joy C. anger D. fear
30.A.rowB. hall C. path D. street
31.A. breaking B. flooding C. jumping D. stepping
32.A. heavy B. full C. expenseD. healthy
33.A. regularly B. limitlessly C. suddenly D. randomly
34.A. set B. reached C. missed D. dropped
35.A. stressful B. painful C. meaningful D. peaceful